This is a list of current development priorities. Although pretty much the entire game is planned out, I try to keep this list to only a few releases ahead instead of the entire thing. I currently aim for three releases a year (one each four months). URR is currently (finally!) transitioning out of worldbuilding and into gameplay. Objectives with a strike-through are completed.
0.8, the largest release ever, September 2016:
– Early NPC implementation!
– NPC schedules, occupations, movement and pathfinding.
– Important NPCs are abstracted out, tracked, spawn correctly, and perform their schedules correctly.
– Conversations – greetings, rumours, questions, information.
– NPC look-up information, clothing, appearance, etc.
– Face generation for NPCs, 10m+ possibilities.
– Upgraded/optimized timing/scheduling system.
– Improvements to city districts, civilization variation, etc.
– Reworking of civilization policies and stronger integration with cities.
– Castle generation.
– All remaining NPC classes not present in the 0.8 release, such as gladiators, explorers, inquisitors, judges, regents, and so forth, with appropriate dialogue generation.
– Weapon and armour generation for all civilizations.
– Rework flora generation, implement fauna generation.
– Ability to interact with nomadic caravans & mountain passes.
– Ability to use trade lanes to travel across the ocean.
– Implementation of financial city-travel strategy layer.
– Procedural generation of coinage & exchange rates.
– Ability to buy/sell in white markets in cities & towns.
– Generation of black markets in hidden locations.
– Bartering between types of items in black markets.
– Creation of other cultural forms in which the central riddle/puzzle is hidden:
– Statue generation.
– Painting generation.
– Generation of books, tablets, scrolls, and prose and poetry.
– Rework history and integrate with all cultural forms.
– Reworking, improving, and developing of family trees.
– Succession laws, ranks, titles, dynasties, etc.
– Lots of other stuff…
Q: Will URR ever be moddable?
Q: Will URR ever be open source?
Q: Will URR contain combat?
A: Yes, but not as a focus; in contrast to many games where combat is the “default” route and other paths – conversations, magic, whatever – are secondary options for more advanced players, I want to invert this relationship. Non-combat investigation and conversations and “detective work” are the standard modes of playing, whilst combat will only be viable for the most skilled (and bold) players.
Q: When will the game be entirely finished?
A: Around 2020?
Q: Will you be making other games afterwards?
A: Oh yes. I have three shorter projects planned, each in the 2-4 year range.
Q: Can I submit content?
A: No, but I’m always looking for ideas, and I’ve incorporated lots of player feedback to date.
Q: Will URR be multiplayer?
A: No, but I have a neat idea for a little bit of asynchronous player interaction that might appear later, if I figure out how on earth to code it.
Q: Will URR have mouse support?
A: Probably one day, but it’s not a priority, and I’ve worked hard to optimise the keyboard control style.
Q: Will URR have sound?
A: Sound no, but music… maybe? Quite a few people have expressed interest in writing music for the game, so this might happen.
Q: When is the new version coming out?