After seven months of development, I am proud to announce the release of Ultima Ratio Regum v0.3!
- 16 hand-drawn languages, assigned to ancient civilizations.
- Ziggurats, containing fully three-dimensional dungeons (multiple staircases which retain coordinates between floors). – Procedural generation of riddle puzzles in ziggurats. – Extensive graphical update for many items, accessible through the ‘l’ook function – stairs, doors, walls, stone blocks.
- Several secret items and hints towards future features and story.
- Over 100 tweaks, bug-fixes, and general improvements.
The focus of this release is the ziggurats. Version 0.3 is partly a “proof of concept” for procedural puzzle generation, partly experimentation with dungeon-generation algorithms more interesting than most roguelikes produce, and also a number of under-the-hood factors that work towards moving the game closer to what I want it to be. Naturally in later versions ziggurats will contain more than merely puzzles (and secrets), but they are the focus for this release. Remember to use ‘l’ (lower case L) to look at clues, and ‘g’ to grab blocks. Head to the link below to acquire the latest version, and do let me know what you think.
Lastly, I’d like to make a request. If you like the game (or like my future plans for the game!), please consider donating. To do so either click the button on the right, or click HERE then click the button on the right. This is the first time I’ve explicitly asked for donations outside a passing comment, and the reason is as follows. I’m doing a doctorate at the moment, and going into my final year. However, I am self-funding, which has required me to search high and low for sources of funding. It’s been fine these first two years, but my rent has almost doubled this year, and combined with paying the registration on the course, I’m in a spot of financial trouble. I have no intention at this point to Kickstart the game (unless a lot of replies on this post encourage me to and would be willing to contribute), but any donations would go a long way to my living costs this year, to reducing the amount of paid work I have to take on to keep myself going through the PhD, and therefore boosting the amount of coding I can do. I’d like to have three more versions released in the next twelve months. The details of them are as follows:
- Limbs – damage, healing, movement penalties/bonuses, etc.
- Expanded basic inventory system.
- Traps – trap rooms, lethal/non-lethal, gas/acid/spikes/poison/fire and more.
- Jumping/dodging/falling mechanics.
- History Generation – war, rulers, families, artworks, discoveries, etc.
- Myth & Legend generation – deities, beliefs, heroes, monsters, etc.
- City Exteriors – cities show up on map, city walls can be accessed.
- Religion/Civilization generation – policies, governments, etc.
- Improved World Gen – new biomes, swamp/plateau, natural wonders, redo polar, etc.
- Pyramids – map generation, light puzzles, second “dungeon” type.
- Special dungeon floors – hall, labyrinth, crypt, etc.
- OTHER COOL STUFF.
Whilst I know in the past I’ve stressed “donating will not speed up development”, at this particular point in time, and at least for the next year, it will. The game will be free forever, but if you like what I’m working on, please give it a thought. Your name also gets added to the “Acknowledgements” list in game! Thanks, and I hope you enjoy version 0.3. Please leave as much feedback as physically possible, here or anywhere else that URR has a presence, about what works, what doesn’t work, what you’d like to see in future versions, etc.